Attorneys At Law

The information on this website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this site should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship.


128 S. Lynnhaven Road, Suite 202

Virginia Beach, Virginia 23452

Phone 757-498-1800 * fax 757498-1801

Family Law

Without question, some of the most emotionally-charged issues in all of law fall under the domain of family law. Are you having legal issues regarding marriage, adoption, divorce, or you are seeking custody of children? We focus much of our practice on family law, so we can guide you through your issues.

Contested and Uncontested Divorce

An Uncontested Divorce is when there are no issues at dispute, either because there is no joint property, debts, or children from the marriage, or because the parties have reached an agreement as to how everything will be divided. Having an uncontested divorce can save you a lot of time and money as compared to a contested divorce. You must be separated from your spouse for a period of 12 months in order to have an uncontested divorce entered, unless you have no minor children and a Separation Agreement, then you only need to be separated for 6 months. 

Contested Divorces are sometimes necessary. They may include retirement accounts, division of assets and property, custody of children or pets, fault based grounds, or even family abuse. These are highly emotional times and it is always best to have a lawyer look out to protect your interests.

Custody and Visitation

It is important to be aware of the factors that determine an award for custody and/or visitation. These factors can be found in Virginia Code Section 20-124.3, also known as "The Best Interest of the Child Factors." Anything outside of these factors is considered irrelevant by the court in determining an award of custody or visitation.  Also irrelevant is anything that occurred prior to entry to the most recent final order. If you are uncertain about what is and is not relevant, be sure to consult with your attorney. 

Spousal and Child Support

Generally Support for children is determine by following a complicated, yet simple, formula that uses the gross income of both parties, the number of children, work-related childcare expenses, health insurance costs, and the number of days (in certain situations). If you are in a situation where one or both parties are self-employed, a party is unemployed or under-employed, the childcare expenses are unnecessary, or where you have shared physical custody, it is usually best to have an experienced attorney represent you to ensure that the appropriate numbers are properly used to calculate the support. 


Step-parent adoptions can often be done without a court hearing if the biological parents give their consent. Likewise, parental placement adoptions can be done rather smoothly with the consent of the birth parent or parents, if both are known.  Notice is required of a birth parent even if you do not know his or her whereabouts. If adoption is something you are interested in, it is worth seeking out a lawyer for assistant to move the process along.

Show Causes

If someone is in violation of a court order, they can be asked to "show cause" as to why they did not obey the court's requirements. Our attorneys are experienced in helping clients on both sides, whether it be filing against a parent who is denying visitation or defending a parent who is behind is support payments, and vice versa. If you are facing a show cause against you or are considering filing a show cause against someone, it is important to keep good records. For example, keep track of all visitations exercised and keep proof of all support payments paid or received.

Other Legal Issues

We will gladly represent you in certain cases regarding:

  • Protective Orders
  • Assault and Battery
  • Separation Agreements
  • Guardian ad Litem
  • ​Power of Attorney
  • Legal Guardianship
  • Show Cause
  • Post Divorce Litigation
  • QDRO (Qualified Domestic Relations Order)
  • Annoying Ringing/Harassment
  • Name Change
  • Defense of Juveniles
  • Child Protective Services
  • Administrative Proceedings
  • Bond Hearings
  • Expungement
  • Mediation/Arbitration